Bridge Place Manor is a Grade 2* listed 16th century manor house set in lovely grounds on the River Nailbourne by Bridge village. Its fine old Tudor interior creates a unique atmosphere making it a popular social place for the over 30s. There is a cosy lounge and two bars with two great inglenook fires for those cooler evenings.
Downstairs in the club, our DJ plays music from the 60’s to the present day. The lower bar leads outside to a cosy smoking area with a log burning stove. Also leading out from the lower bar there is a patio area beside the river where you can relax and chat or just enjoy the views across the countryside on those mild summer evenings.
Bridge Place Manor, formerly known as Blackmanbury, was rebuilt in 1638 by Sir Arnold Braem. He fought for the King in the Civil War and was subsequently captured at the Battle of Nasby whilst tending the wounds of his mortally wounded son. They later escaped to Holland and joined young Charles II in exile in Breda. After the death of Oliver Cromwell he was invited to return to England upon which his manor was returned to him.
In 1660 General George Monck was sent to Holland to bring Charles II back to rule. The nation was jubilant; They landed at Dover and the King stayed at Bridge Place Manor with his dear friend Sir Arnold. He was the first man to be knighted for his unwavering loyality and support of his father.
There are portraits of Sir Arnold Braem and his wife in his old room, which is of course the premier room in which to stay. There is also an original oak cornice with ornately carved faces of Sir Arnold and his family. He is buried in Bridge Church.
Lord Nelson and Lady Hamilton stayed here several times, hence the reason for so many pictures of them in the Manor. Lady Hamilton is buried in Deal churchyard. Their only child Horatia married the Vicar of Tenterden and bore 10 children.
There is so much more to tell of this very special old Manor House. You can ask the owner, an historian who has lovingly restored the Manor to its former beauty.